28 February 2014

No Pressure.

I'm now enrolled in my courses, and I can definitely say I'm not looking forward to them nearly as much as I looked forward to my Psychology courses. Even buying my textbooks, I felt sad passing over the Psychology books to get to the Health Sciences section.

And as a Masters student, especially as an international student who is required to be a full-time student, you don't really get much choice in courses. They just tell you what to take and where to pay.

Speaking of international students, I had my 'international student orientation' last week, and came to the startling realization that I am the ONLY AMERICAN STUDENT IN MY PROGRAM. Even the other students were surprised.

Now on the one hand, I don't have to worry about needing help with my English to keep up with my studies, and I don't have to worry about being compared with any other Americans in the group (by my peers).

On the other hand, it isolates me a bit. I don't have the same course freedoms and liberties that the Australian domestic students have, and I don't have the common cultural differences, or languages, that the other international students have (being Asian, Indian, and Nepalese).

And then there was our course orientation, two nights ago, when we got to meet the faculty and learn "what is expected of us." I like all the faculty I've met so far, and the Public Health Course Coordinator, who is also my Epidemiology professor, is pretty awesome. I had a few questions to ask him about my courses so I approached him after the session. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Hi, Dr Vally. I have a question about summer courses - since I'm an international student, and..
Dr V: Oh, where are you from?
Me: I'm from California. In fact I think I'm the only American international student.
Dr V: Oh! Yes, I think I remember your application. You worked in Thailand?
Me: *feeling proud, yet self-conscious suddenly* Yeah, I spent 3 years there.
Dr V: Great, great. Yeah I remember your application. You've done a lot, haven't you? Well it's great that you're here.
Me: Thanks. I actually applied for the dual degree, but was told I wasn't qualified for the International Development half...so that was a bit disappointing.
Dr V: Well, that's odd. I'll tell you what. You work hard, do well and show your excellence this term, and come back and meet with me. We'll see if there isn't something we can't do about that.
Me: Yeah? Okay, I'll do that. Thank you.

WHAT JUST HAPPENED?! Not only does the Course Coordinator remember my application, but here I am as essentially the sole representative of my country, with him, well, keeping a close eye on me and my work so I can *maybe* add to my course *if* I impress him.

Yeah.

No pressure.

Groan

No comments:

Post a Comment