25 February 2014

Home Sweet Home

~Monday~
Monday morning I headed into the CBD to first stop at the bank to activate my account and order my debit card, then meet up and have lunch with my friend Russell, a local Melbournian who I met on my way back to Bangkok from Madrid 2.5 years ago. We had burgers at Grill'd, then had a nice long chat over coffee, then he walked me to Spring Street where I was meeting with Edward to view the apt.

He buzzed me in and I took the elevator up to the 7th (well, 8th floor, but outside of the States the bottom floor is the "ground floor" not the "first floor"), and knocked. Edward welcomed me in, showed me the second bedroom, the second bathroom (which included washer AND dryer, SCORE!), and the balcony, which overlooks the tennis court, swimming pool and gym (weight room with a few machines).

I loved it. Told him I could move in the next day (Tuesday). He told me he was meeting with one other person that evening, and would let me know the next day.

~Tuesday~
I woke up Tuesday morning, got dressed, walked down the hall to the bathroom to put my contacts in, and then tried to go back into my room. My key fob didn't work. Crap.
I had only booked my accommodation through Tuesday, so today was either moving day or extend-my-stay-here day. Still waiting to hear from Edward about the apt, but not being able to get into my room, I walked down the hill to the Residential Services Office (in my slippers, no less; thank goodness I'd had the sense to get dressed before getting locked out of my room), and had them re-activate my key fob for a few days, and, having not grabbed my wallet when I'd left my room that morning, told them I'd return to pay for the next few days.
As soon as I returned to my room, however, I received a text from Edward congratulating me on "beating out the competition" and being chosen for the second bedroom in the flat. I was ecstatic. He agreed to come pick me up and bring me and my things from Bundoora to the city, so I packed my bags up as quick as I could, and skipped back to the Residential Office to cancel my extension and return my key.

Spent the following hours after arriving *home* out shopping for food and sheets and towels and other little essentials. Was a long day, but well worth the exhaustion to FINALLY have a place to call home.  Check it out:
Living room

Kitchen, complete with fridge, oven and dishwasher!

My bathroom (shower to the left, washer and dryer behind folding doors to the right just outside the picture).

The view from the balcony

Tennis court and pool

The sweet balcony
My room before..

and after!

Yes. I did bring 10 pairs of shoes with me. :)

 ~Wednesday~
 Wednesday I was back at the bank to transfer my part of the deposit for the apt, and then it was off to Target for some more shopping.
All the furniture I put together that week - coffee table and end table, 4 drawer dresser and cubbies
Halfway through assembling my desk
Finished!
Aaannd the file cabinet
Becoming an expert furniture-assembler
~THURSDAY~
Thursday I took the tram to Bundoora and waited for two hours to have them stamp "approved" on my registration, lol. But I was registered. Went home and watched Olympics on tv.

~FRIDAY~
Friday I visited the bank yet again to see my favorite associate, Mariana, who helped me set up my renter's insurance, transfer my first month's rent, activate my online banking, and set a recurring online monthly transfer for bill/rent pay. I then wandered up Elizabeth street and found a lovely little art shop called Outre that also did custom framing, so I went home and brought back my two canvas paintings to be framed - the big black elephant one I got in Chiang Mai, and the small fire and smoke I painted myself at art class with Dton Naam. (I'll show them when they're finished).
That evening, wearing my anti-valentines shirt, Edward and I walked down the road a bit to have a drink and get to know each other a bit. Earlier in the week, Edward had informed me, with what I assume was an unintentional air of superiority, that he's a "music snob"....to which I had had a nice little chuckle and responded by informing him about my 9 years of classical piano training, my 12 years of classical clarinet, my concertmaster position for 2 years in college, my 2-year degree followed by my minor in clarinet performance, and my 2 performances in Carnegie Hall - in short, that I not only knew what classical music was, I was well-versed in it.
My degree in Psychology also tells me that the look on his face when receiving this information was a good indicator that he was realizing he might have underestimated his new flatmate. ;)
So, like the snobby music nerds that we were, we spent the first hour or so Friday night discussing our favorite composers and music styles. Bahaha. :D

~SATURDAY~
Hardly worth mentioning. Didn't leave the apt. Just stayed home and read my book and watched more Olympics.

No comments:

Post a Comment